2019-2020 Student Handbook 
    Feb 05, 2023  
2019-2020 Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Paying for College

Financial Aid


KCC has established an effective financial aid program of scholarships and grants, campus employment, and loans. You are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) used by the Financial Aid office to determine eligibility for most aid sources. Through our programs, KCC attempts to make education financially possible for all eligible and qualified applicants.

You must be enrolled in an eligible program of study, leading toward a degree or one-year certificate, to qualify for financial aid programs. In addition, most programs require enrollment of at least half-time status. The KCC Academic Catalog contains complete information on the range of programs available to you. You will receive correspondence from the Financial Aid office through your KCC email account in the Bruin Portal. All required forms can be obtained at http://www.kellogg.edu/admissions/financial-aid/student-forms-documents/.

Aid Sources

Scholarships and Grants

  • Federal Pell Grants are federally-funded grants based on need. You must file the FAFSA to be eligible.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are federal grants awarded to Pell Grant recipients with the greatest financial need. You must file the FAFSA to be eligible.
  • KCC Scholarships and Scholarship Endowments provide gifts if you meet eligibility requirements. Funding from these programs is limited. Contact the KCC Foundation at 269-965-4161, or download an application at http://www.kellogg.edu/about/foundation/student-scholarships/.
  • Michigan Competitive Scholarships are awards made by the State of Michigan based on ACT score and financial need. Must file the FAFSA each year to be eligible.

Work Opportunities

Federal Work Study is a federally-funded work program awarded to students with a financial need. On-campus and off-campus jobs are limited to 20 hours per week. You must be at least 18 years old to be eligible for Federal Work Study, fill out the FAFSA, and indicate a desire to work.


Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan

William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Direct Loans) are low-interest, educational loans. Funds are provided by the federal government. These loans help you finance your educational expenses up to $3,500 per year for freshman, and $4,500 per year for sophomore students. A maximum of $23,000 may be borrowed as an undergraduate student.

The interest rate is paid by the federal government while you are attending college on at least a half-time basis. The Financial Aid office must have an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) on file to award this loan. You must file Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for a loan. Only students with demonstrated need qualify for this subsidized loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

Regardless of income, you will be able to obtain this student loan. Interest starts accruing on this loan beginning the day the loan is disbursed. Borrowers from this program are responsible for interest accrued during the in-school and deferment periods. Interest payments can be paid monthly, quarterly, or capitalized by the lender and added to the loan principal.

You can receive subsidized and unsubsidized loans for the same loan period. The combined total of both programs cannot exceed Federal Stafford Loan Program annual limits or your Cost of Attendance.

Federal Direct Plus Loan

This is a non-need based source of loan funds available to parents of dependent undergraduates. There is no federal interest subsidy. Under the Federal Plus Loan, when the borrower is a parent, repayment of interest and principal must begin within sixty (60) days of disbursement of the loan. Parents can choose to defer the payment until after the student graduates or drops below halftime.

There is no grace period for Parent PLUS Loans. The interest rate is fixed and determined on a yearly basis. The parent may borrow up to the cost of education minus other aid. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be on file prior to the awarding of a PLUS loan.

Entrance and Exit Counseling

If you are awarded a loan, you are required to complete an entrance loan counseling session prior to the loan being disbursed. If you received a loan, you are required to complete an exit loan counseling session prior to program completion at KCC.

You will receive a six-month grace period after graduating or dropping below half-time status before you begin repayment. All principle payments are automatically deferred while you are enrolled on or above a half-time basis and during your grace period.

Both counseling sessions are completed online. You must list KCC as the school to which you would like the counseling information sent.

Additional resources:

Common Financial Aid Terms

  • COA - Cost of Attendance (budget). This is the total cost of attending a college or university, including tuition, room and board, books, lab fees, transportation, and basic living expenses.
  • Credit Hour - Credit hours are units of value given to courses. Some courses may be worth more credits than others. Many institutions base tuition costs on the number of credit hours taken; and some financial aid programs require you to maintain a minimum number of credit hours per semester.
  • Deferment - A deferment is an approved pause in repaying a student loan. You may seek a deferment due to financial hardship, time spent continuing your education, active military service, or other reasons as determined by the lender.
  • Disbursement - The release of loan funds to the school for delivery to the borrower. The payment will be made via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to the school. Loan funds are first credited to your KCC account for payment of tuition, fees, room and board, and other school charges. Any excess funds will be paid to you in the form of a check or direct deposit.
  • Drop - Dropping a course means you may receive a refund of tuition and fees paid for the course. The drop period is typically 1/10 of the course meeting time and should be verified via the Bruin Portal for each course and section you may consider dropping.
  • EFC (Expected Family Contribution) - To be eligible for financial aid, families must complete the FAFSA with detailed financial information. The EFC is calculated based on this information, showing the amount of money the family can reasonably be expected to contribute toward their child’s education. The EFC is used to determine students’ eligibility for need-based financial aid.
  • FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) - Filling out the FAFSA is the first step in the financial aid process. To be eligible to receive federal financial aid and many state-level financial aid programs, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Federal Study Program - A federally funded, need-based program administered by each school. This program allows you to work on campus to help pay for your education and living expenses.
  • Late Add - If you are granted permission to add a course after the add/drop period, the course added will not be counted toward determining the enrollment level for financial aid.
  • Merit-Based - These are financial aid programs which require you to meet a certain level of academic achievement.
  • Need-Based - These are financial aid programs which require you to meet a certain level of academic achievement. COA - EFC = Need
  • SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) - This is a federal regulation establishing educational standards for students receiving Federal Title IV aid (Pell Grant and William D. Ford Loans) to ensure students are progressing toward an educational objective and complete a degree within a reasonable time frame.
  • Withdrawal - You may withdraw from course(s) online or in person. You may withdraw after the drop/refund period and prior to 7/8 of the duration of the course. A grade of “W” (Withdrawal) will be placed on your academic transcript for each course withdrawn. Tuition and fees will not be refunded. If you withdraw during the final 1/8 of the course, a grade of “F” will be placed on your academic transcript. If you stop attending a course and do not formally withdraw, the instructor will assign a final grade based upon progress toward completion of course objectives. Consult the Bruin Portal for class specific withdrawal dates.

Eligibility for Aid

General financial aid eligibility requirements state that you must:

  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or completed a secondary school education in a home-school setting.
  • Be admitted to KCC and enrolled as a regular student (Guest and Dual Enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid).
  • Be a U S citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Not be in default on a student loan.
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal grant previously received.
  • Be pursuing an eligible program of study leading to a degree, one-year certificate, or transfer to a four-year college.
  • Be registered with Selective Service if a male at least 18 years of age. (You may register online at https://www.sss.gov/).
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by federal regulations and pursuant to KCC’s SAP policy.

Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid

Financial Aid awards are subject to the following stipulations:

  1. You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
  2. To be eligible for most types of financial aid, a minimum of six credit hours per semester is required. If classes are dropped or cancelled after initial registration, the financial aid package may be adjusted.
  3. If dropped or cancelled classes decreases or cancels eligibility for financial aid, any balance owed to KCC is your responsibility.
  4. You must inform the Financial Aid office of aid received from sources outside the office.
  5. If additional financial aid is received after the award letter is issued, the award package may be adjusted or cancelled.
  6. Financial aid is contingent upon the continuation of the current aid programs, sufficient appropriations and you meeting KCC’s SAP Policy.
  7. Financial Aid is contingent on you attending all courses for which you are registered.
  8. Adjustments to the award package may be required for changes in the family’s financial situation, additional available funding, levels of enrollment, residency, errors in calculations, clerical errors, or further file review.
  9. You will be notified of all adjustments to the financial aid award package.
  10. You are responsible for debit balances that may be created on your account as a result of an adjustment.
  11. Financial aid received for the current award year cannot be used to pay indebtedness from a previous award year.
  12. All funds received are to be used for education-related expenses while attending KCC.
  13. In cases of enrollment at more than one institution for the same period of time, federal and state funding may only be received at one institution.
  14. By signing the Title IV statement on the Financial Aid Certification form, you are authorizing federal funds to apply to all charges on your KCC account.

Enrollment and Attendance

Enrollment Levels

These enrollment levels define full-time and part-time students and apply to all semesters, including summer.

Full-time Twelve (12) or more credits
Three-quarter (3/4) time Nine (9) - Eleven (11) credit hours
One-half (1/2) time Six (6) - Eight (8) credit hours
Less than one-half (1/2) time Less than six (6) credit hours

Any courses for which there is an “I” (Incomplete) grade on your transcript for a previous enrollment period will not be counted toward your level of enrollment for a current semester for financial aid.  An “I” (Incomplete) grade means you agreed to complete the course by a specified date without re-enrolling. If you choose to audit a course, it will not be included in the enrollment level. Classes added after the add period will not be included in the enrollment level for consideration of aid.


In order to receive funds from any Title IV program, you must attend the classes you are enrolled in, which are used to compute your financial aid eligibility. If you NEVER attend the classes you are enrolled in, the Financial Aid office will review your financial aid eligibility and may adjust your award(s) based on the classes you have attended. You will be responsible for any outstanding balance owed on your KCC account.

Complete Withdrawal

If you completely withdraw from all courses before the 60% point of the semester, a Federal Refund Calculation will be completed to determine what portion of disbursed aid you must repay KCC. If you drop or withdraw from your classes, your KCC account will be adjusted according to KCC’s tuition refund policy. If you find it necessary to drop/withdraw during a semester, you must notify the Registrar’s office to complete the necessary drop/withdrawal paperwork.

Title IV aid that has been received during a semester will be recalculated to determine how much has been earned if you:

  • Officially withdraw from ALL courses within a semester, or
  • Officially withdraw from a course AND are not registered in a course that spans the length of the semester, or
  • Received failing grades in ALL courses in which you are enrolled within a semester

If you withdraw or stop attending ALL your classes, you may be responsible for a portion of the charges incurred, which is calculated based on the last date of attendance reported for you by your instructors. Withdrawing from class and/or never attending class may also affect your academic progress and result in termination of financial assistance. Please review KCC’s SAP requirements for more details on how to remain in satisfactory academic standing.

Title IV funding must be returned to the following federal programs in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • PLUS Loan
  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Other federal, state, private, or institutional student assistance

Repeat Coursework

  • You may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed (received a 0.00 grade point or “No Pass”), regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
  • You may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time. (A passing grade is any grade other than an “F, W, NR or N, I, G”.) See the Academic Catalog for an explanation of grades.
  • Once you have completed any course twice with a passing grade, you are no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
  • A recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course if you retake a course that is not aid eligible.
  • This rule applies whether or not you received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

Note: Federal regulations specify that you may not receive aid for repeating courses previously passed if you are required to retake those courses as part of a structured program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)


Federal regulations require that you maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to continue receiving financial aid. The minimum standards of SAP at KCC include the following components:

  • You maintain a cumulative grade point average based on number of credits attempted (may be different than records GPA).
  • You complete a minimum of cumulative credit hours attempted based on number of credits attempted (including all transfer credits).
  • You complete less than 150% total cumulative credits required for program degree of record (including all transfer credits).

A review of SAP will be done at the end of each semester following the posting of grades to your official transcript. The Financial Aid office will review your academic history and notify you if you are being placed on financial aid warning or suspension. If you are placed on suspension, you will receive an email with information about the appeal process.

The first time you do not meet minimum standards you will be placed on financial aid warning and are eligible to receive all forms of aid. If you do not meet minimum standards the second semester, you will be placed on financial aid suspension and will not be eligible to receive any federal or state financial aid. You may appeal using the appeal form sent to your KCC email account.


Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted

Cumulative credit hours attempted are defined as all credit hours attempted at KCC, and all credit hours transferred in from other institutions. Attempted credits include courses with grades of “A” through “F,” “W,” “I,” “P,” “G,” “N,” and “NR.” Repeated courses will be counted as hours attempted, and also toward the maximum credits allowable for financial aid.

Cumulative Credit Hours Successfully Completed

Credit hours successfully completed are defined as grades “A” through “D,” “P,”  and “G.” Credit hours not successfully completed are defined as “F,” “W,” “I,” “NR” and “N.”

Audit Grades

Credit hours taken for a grade of “X” (Audit) do not apply toward an associate degree or certificate program. Therefore, credit hours with this designation are not included in determining enrollment status for financial aid disbursements or satisfactory academic progress.

If you have a change in grade type to an “X” (Audit) after the disbursement of financial aid, you will be reviewed for an enrollment status change. This change may result in a reduction of financial aid eligibility and a balance owed to KCC

Incomplete Grades

Courses with grades of “I” (Incomplete) will be considered as credit hours attempted and not completed. If you have made arrangements with the instructor to complete required coursework you are not required to re-register for the same class during a subsequent semester to complete the work. Any course carried forward to the next semester for completion will not be counted as part of the new semester enrollment status. If the “I” (Incomplete) grade was instrumental in placing you on financial aid probation or suspension, once you complete the course requirements and a change of grade is entered on your transcript, you may appeal for a re-evaluation of satisfactory academic progress by submitting the SAP Appeal form to the Financial Aid office.

Open Entry Courses, Industrial Trades Courses

Open entry courses and industrial trades courses will be treated like any other course for SAP. If the course is not completed by the end of the semester when SAP is evaluated, you may appeal using the SAP Appeal form to have your status re-evaluated once a grade is assigned.

Appeal Process

You may appeal your SAP Appeal status by filing the SAP Appeal form (http://www.kellogg.edu/admissions/financial-aid/sap-standards/). Reinstatement of aid is subject to professional judgment, submission of proper documentation of your circumstances, and availability of funds.

The following special circumstances will be considered when processing your appeal:

  1. A significant medical illness or injury that directly affected your ability to meet the academic standards.
  2. The death of a close relative during the time period that directly affected your ability to meet the academic standards.
  3. You attended school more than two years previous and experienced difficulties at that time that directly affected your ability to meet the academic standards.
  4. You received a change of grade from a previous semester and are requesting that SAP be re-evaluated.
  5. You completed the maximum credits allowable for financial aid at KCC, including transfer credit hours, and the current program of study requires additional credits for completion.
  6. You experienced a significant personal tragedy or event that affected your ability to meet academic standards.
  7. You experienced another significant situation that affected your ability to meet academic standards.

Veterans Affairs (DVA) Benefit Services

Application forms are available at https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Additional forms to complete a Veteran file are available from the Financial Aid office on the North Avenue campus in Battle Creek. Scheduled VA orientations are available to assist with the certification process requirements and guidelines.

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill), of Title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9), who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kellogg Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence), shall be charged in-state tuition rates.

Academic Progress Standards

Recipients of DVA benefits must achieve satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward their educational goals. KCC will evaluate the academic progress of each recipient at the end of each academic session.

Satisfactory Progress Policy

A DVA benefits recipient is considered to be making SAP if a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is maintained based on the SAP policy. Class absence must not interfere with the successful pursuit or completion of the course objectives. Recipients are expected to make consistent and incremental progress toward completion of an academic program. Recipients enrolled in industrial trades coursework must complete the scheduled/enrolled clock hours by the end of the enrollment period for which they have been certified.

Probationary Benefit Status

A DVA benefits recipient who is not making satisfactory progress will be placed on probationary benefit status. This probationary status may continue for up to two subsequent semesters. During the probationary period, the recipient is eligible for certification. To regain satisfactory progress status, a probationary semester must be completed with all progress standards being met.

First-time Recipients

First-time DVA benefits recipients who have an established academic record at KCC must meet the satisfactory progress policy. Students not meeting the policy requirements will begin their benefits on probationary benefit status as outlined above.

Suspended Benefit Status

If at the end of the probationary status the recipient has not achieved satisfactory progress, KCC may no longer certify enrollment for benefits. To become eligible for recertification, the DVA benefits recipient must complete a subsequent six (6) credit hours with a 2.00 GPA in each class, within a semester, without their enrollment being certified to the DVA, and meet all standards of satisfactory progress at the conclusion of that semester.

Appeal of Benefit Status

A DVA benefits recipient who has been placed on probationary or suspended status may appeal the status in writing to the VA Certifying Official, located in the Financial Aid office.

Choice and Accountability Act Policy

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9), who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kellogg Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence), shall be charged in-state tuition rates.

Payment Information-Tuition and Fees

You have two payment options:

  • Payment in full when registering for classes
  • Enrollment in the Nelnet payment plan

All students, including students who have been awarded financial aid or scholarships, need to pay their balance in full or enroll in a Nelnet payment plan within 24 hours of registering for their classes. Find additional information at www.kellogg.edu.

Student Payment Plan

KCC partners with Nelnet Business Solutions to administer a low cost payment plan for all students, including those with a Financial Aid award. The student payment plan offers multiple down payment and monthly payment options, while the Financial Aid payment plan offers a delayed payment option for all balances and fees. Payments are made electronically by registering a checking account, savings account, or any major credit card on the enrollment application. Details regarding both payment plan options are available online at www.kellogg.edu.

Drop for Non-Payment

Failure to pay in full or enroll in the Nelnet payment plan may result in all of your classes being dropped. There are exceptions in which KCC may allow a student to register without paying in full or signing with a payment plan. If KCC does not automatically drop you for non-payment, you would still be responsible for any outstanding tuition balances and fees. Any questions should be directed to the Business Office at 269-965-4140 or www.kellogg.edu.

Tuition Refund Policy

  1. A course section dropped by the specified drop date listed on the Class Schedule (www.kellogg.edu) will be granted a full refund of paid tuition and fees with no academic penalty. Any course section dropped after the stated drop date will be processed as a course withdrawal (grade of “W” on academic transcript), and subject to the tuition and fees of the course.
  2. Refund calculations are based upon the total tuition and fee obligations to the College and not upon the amount of partial payment made.


Refunds are automatically generated if you have a credit (negative) balance on your student account resulting from dropped or cancelled classes and/or disbursement of financial aid. You must be attending classes and continue to meet all eligibility requirements in order to receive a financial aid refund. Payments made by credit card may be refunded back to the original card. All other refunds will be distributed either by paper check mailed to the address on file or direct deposit into a bank account enrolled through the Bruin Portal. Any questions should be directed to the Business Office at 269-965-4140 or busoffice@kellogg edu.

Refund Appeals

If you believe that your circumstance warrants a refund of tuition and fees, you may appeal for a refund of tuition and fees

  • The Refund Appeal Form is available online at http://www.kellogg.edu/admissions/registrar/refund-policy/.
  • The written appeal must be submitted within one (1) year of the date when the course was taken.
  • The appeal must include supporting documentation showing an extenuating circumstance.
  • The Refund Appeals Committee will respond to you in writing.

Indebtedness Policy

If a student has a prior unsettled indebtedness, KCC reserves the right to refuse to forward evidence of attendance or other official credentials. Indebtedness shall include tuition and fees, library and parking fines, restitution sanctions, over-awards of financial aid, defaulted student loans incurred from prior KCC attendance, or any other charges incurred by the student and owed to KCC.

Military Duty

If you are currently enrolled as a student and are called for active military duty, present a copy of your military orders to the Registrar’s office. You may be dropped from all uncompleted courses without grade and be granted a refund of all tuition and fees paid for the dropped courses.

Tax Incentives for Higher Education (1098-T Form)

KCC is required to send a 1098-T form to each student who registers for classes throughout the calendar year. This form is used to verify enrollment and report to the IRS all qualified tuition and related expenses billed by KCC as well as report all scholarship and grant funds received by the student during the calendar year. Receipt of the form does not mean you qualify for an educational tax credit, it simply means that you were enrolled in a KCC course at some point during that year. To see if you are eligible to claim a tax credit see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education; Form 8863, Education Credit; and the form 1040 or 1040A instructions.


Kellogg Community College Bruin Bookstore is located on the first floor of the Lane Thomas Building. The Bruin Bookstore offers new and used textbooks, supplies, insignia items, clothing, software, and snacks for students to purchase. Students at the Fehsenfeld, Grahl, and Eastern Academic Centers may purchase their books online at http://bookstore.kellogg.edu/store1/home.aspx or at the Battle Creek Bruin Bookstore. The average cost of a new textbook is estimated at approximately $175.00. Please be aware some classes may require more than one textbook. The Bruin Bookstore will ship textbooks within the continental United States for an additional shipping and handling fee.

If you have been approved for financial aid, you may purchase books on account according to the dates posted in the bookstore. A KCC student or government issued ID and KCC class schedule are required for purchases made with financial aid. Students found abusing the right to charge purchases at the Bruin Bookstore against pending financial aid may be placed on financial aid suspension.

During the last week of the semester, the Bruin Bookstore offers a textbook buyback service conducted by an independent used book company. Times and dates are posted in the Bruin Bookstore.

Any questions should be directed to the Bruin Bookstore at kccbookstore@kellogg.edu, or 269-965-4128

Bookstore Refund Policy

Each semester the Bruin Bookstore posts on the website (http://bookstore.kellogg.edu/store1/home.aspx) and in the store the last day for full refunds on textbooks. After this posted date, customers are given one day to return books.

  • All merchandise must have a current semester receipt/packing list.
  • Returns on textbooks are not accepted when purchased during the last 10 days of classes.
  • Items purchased must be in the exact same condition as they were purchased, including original packaging, tags/labels, no highlighting, marks, or opened CD’s/disks.
  • A refund policy statement is given with each book purchased and students are reminded to read this policy thoroughly before requesting a refund.

Refunds are issued in the same form as payment was made. The exception to this would be cash; it may be in the form of a check mailed to the customer or direct deposited. Purchases by check require a five-business day waiting period before receiving a cash refund.

All other unopened/unused Bruin Bookstore merchandise is refundable within 3 days of purchase; this excludes candy/food, bar charts, and syllabi.

Please attend class before opening or writing in your textbooks.

Some remaining textbooks will be returned to publishers by mid-semester. Please plan to purchase your textbooks prior to this time or make arrangements with the Bruin Bookstore staff.