2019-2020 Academic Catalog 
    Jul 15, 2024  
2019-2020 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information



Your residency status is based on the taxing district in which you live, and the tuition you pay is based on your residency status. Residency is established at the end of the first full week of fall and spring semesters and on June 15 for the summer semester. Your residency status as of that date remains in effect for that semester. Changes in your residency status made after this timeline will affect your tuition rate for the upcoming semester.

Acceptable documentation for establishing and proving your residency is as follows:

  1. Valid driver’s license
  2. Valid Michigan ID card
  3. Voter registration card
  4. Lease agreement showing your name as an occupant
  5. Business mail received in your name at the stated address

You should be prepared to prove your legal residence at each registration. Your residency must be established before you can access secure areas within the Bruin Portal.

A change in address may be submitted by email to records@kellogg.edu; or in person to the Registrar’s Office, Eastern Academic, Fehsenfeld, Grahl Centers or RMTC office. It is your responsibility to keep your address current on college records. An incorrect address will result in returned mail, which will hinder your access to college services, programs, and pertinent information.

A change in residency requires documentation and may be submitted by email to records@kellogg.edu; or in person to the Registrar’s Office, Eastern Academic, Fehsenfeld, Grahl Centers or RMTC office. When residency discrepancies are found, your residency status will be flagged, and your tuition rate will automatically be adjusted. Contact the Registrar’s Office for questions regarding residency.

Determination of Residency for Tuition Purposes


You are a resident of the College’s district if you are a U.S. citizen whose legal residence has been established within a Michigan city/township and corresponding public K-12 school district listed in The College District section.


You are a non-resident of the College district if you are a U.S. citizen whose legal residence has been established within the state of Michigan, but outside of the College’s district.

Out-of-State Resident

You are an out-of-state resident of the College district if you are a U.S. citizen whose legal residence has been established outside of the state of Michigan.

International Resident

An international resident is a non-citizen of the United States. If you are an alien who holds a valid Alien Registration Receipt Card (Permanent Resident Card), political asylum, or an “H,” “E,” or “L” visa and have documented this with the College, you are eligible for classification according to the definitions of residency stated above. You should be prepared to document your alien status at the time of registration.

If you are a long-standing area resident who graduated from a high school in the College district and document your residence for the period of at least one (1) year immediately prior to the first day of the semester, you may be eligible for classification according to the definition of residency as stated above.

The College District

The College district includes the following Michigan cities/townships and corresponding public school districts.

Geographical areas within Calhoun County

City of Albion Albion
City of Battle Creek Battle Creek, Lakeview, Pennfield, Harper Creek
City of Marshall Marshall
City of Springfield Battle Creek
Albion Township Albion, Homer
Athens Township Athens, Union City
Bedford Township Battle Creek, Pennfield
Burlington Township Athens, Tekonsha, Union City
Clarence Township Mar Lee
Clarendon Township Homer, Tekonsha
Convis Township Marshall, Pennfield
Eckford Township Albion, Homer, Mar Lee, Marshall
Emmett Township Battle Creek, Harper Creek
Fredonia Township Harper Creek, Homer, Marshall, Tekonsha, Union City
Homer Township Homer
Lee Township Marshall, Mar Lee
Leroy Township Athens, Harper Creek
Marengo Township Albion, Marshall, Mar Lee
Marshall Township Harper Creek, Marshall
Newton Township Harper Creek, Marshall, Union City
Pennfield Township Battle Creek, Harper Creek, Pennfield
Sheridan Township Albion, Mar Lee
Tekonsha Township Homer, Tekonsha, Union City

Geographical areas within Barry County 

Assyria Township Pennfield
Johnstown Township Pennfield

Geographical areas within Branch County

Batavia Township Union City
Butler Township Homer, Tekonsha
Girard Township Tekonsha, Union City
Matteson Township Union City
Sherwood Township Athens, Union City
Union Township Union City

Geographical areas within Hillsdale County

Litchfield Township Homer

Geographical areas within Kalamazoo County

Fulton Athens
Wakeshma Township Athens

Geographical areas within St. Joseph County

Leonidas Township Athens

Tuition and Fees

One of the primary goals of the Kellogg Community College Board of Trustees is to maintain the lowest possible tuition and service fees for our students. However, since tuition and fees are subject to change on occasion, the specific amount is published online for each semester.

A credit hour of tuition purchases sixteen hours of instruction. An additional tuition charge is assessed for courses providing instruction in excess of this ratio. Additionally, laboratory, materials, online fees, and health fees are charged for certain courses. These fees are listed in each semester schedule of classes.

Senior citizens 65 years of age or over, who reside within the Kellogg Community College district, may register for classes tuition free, but are responsible for all applicable fees.

All outstanding balances (unpaid fines, tuition agreements, etc.) must be paid in full prior to registration.

All college-related costs may be paid by cash, check/money order, or credit card. The College collects tuition and fees separate from purchases in the Bruin Bookstore. If applicable, please pay with separate checks and/or money orders for each department. Payment alternatives are available:

  1. Payment in full at time of registration.
  2. Payment Plan - To qualify for a payment plan agreement, you must (1) have paid in full all prior outstanding balances, and (2) have an outstanding balance greater than $100, and (3) complete an enrollment application with Nelnet Business Solutions. This will require you to register an active bank account or credit card. The tuition agreement must be paid even if you withdraw after the refund period. Late or delinquent payments may result in an administrative withdrawal from courses. Details on the current payment plan options available are published online on the Tuition and Fees page.
  3. Sponsored Agreements - Tuition may be billed to a sponsoring organization, such as an employer or high school. You can register after the College receives a signed authorization from your employer or sponsoring organization. You are responsible for any remaining balance should the sponsoring organization not complete payment.

Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Tuition Refund Policy

  1. If you officially drop a class within the add/drop period of that class, you will be granted a refund of paid tuition and fees. The drop period will depend on the start and end date of the class. For courses that meet over a 13-15 week period and start before Financial Aid has transmitted, the drop date will be the Friday before Financial Aid first transmits. For all other classes, the drop period will be through the first tenth (1/10) of the total number of calendar days over which the class meets. Refund calculations are based upon the total tuition and fee obligations to the College and not upon the amount of partial payment made.
  2. In order to drop a course and receive a refund, you must initiate an official course drop prior to the drop deadline. Deadline dates are available on the Bruin Portal, from your instructor or from the Registrar’s Office. College staff members are not responsible to submit schedule adjustments on behalf of the student. You may process schedule adjustments in your Bruin Portal. Schedule adjustments may also be submitted to the Registrar’s Office, Eastern Academic, Fehsenfeld, and Grahl Centers or RMTC office. After the published course section drop date, dropped classes result in a withdrawal from the classes and you are responsible for all course section charges.
  3. Cancelled classes will be granted a full refund of paid tuition and fees.
  4. A refund will not be granted if you withdraw from classes or are administratively withdrawn from the College for disciplinary or attendance reasons.

Military Duty

If you are currently enrolled as a student and are called for military duty, present a copy of your military orders to the Registrar’s Office. You may be dropped from all uncompleted courses without grade and be granted a refund of all tuition and fees paid for the dropped courses.

Refund Appeals

A Refund Appeals Committee is in place to consider refund appeals from students. You may submit a written refund appeal with supporting documentation to:

Refund Appeals Committee c/o Registrar
Kellogg Community College
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek MI 49017-3397

A refund appeal must be submitted within one (1) year of the date when the course was taken. The Refund Appeals Committee will respond to you in writing.

Federal Refund/ Repayment Policy

If you officially withdraw from classes after school begins, but during a refund period, you may be eligible to receive a refund of tuition and fees. If you received Title IV federal awards, such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, or Federal Direct Loans, this refund on tuition and fees is returned to the financial aid programs - not the student. Federal funds must be returned in the following order: unsubsidized Ford Direct Loan, subsidized Ford Direct Loan, Ford Direct PLUS Loans, Pell Grant, and SEOG. Students not receiving Title IV Federal Financial Aid who paid for all expenses out-of-pocket will receive the refund amount as computed based on institutional policy. The amount of federal funds returned to the federal programs will be determined by the amount of unearned financial aid based on the date of withdrawal or last date of attendance. If the date of withdrawal or last date of attendance is not available or known, the federal refund will be based on the 50% point of the semester.