2020-2021 Student Handbook 
    Apr 22, 2024  
2020-2021 Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Directory of Services

Academic Advising




Selective Admissions (Allied Health and Nursing Programs)

Allied Health and Nursing Admission Appeals

Questions concerning Nursing and Allied Health selective admission decisions should be directed to the Admissions office. If a satisfactory solution to the questions cannot be reached, you may submit a written appeal to:

Selective Admissions Appeal Committee
c/o Admissions Director
Kellogg Community College
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek, MI 49017-3397

The appeal committee will convene and a decision regarding the status of your appeal will be sent to you via U.S. Postal Service.



Bruin Portal

The Bruin Portal, located from the KCC Homepage, provides a gateway to a suite of commonly used services for students. From the Portal you can access:

  • The KCC Self-Service Center, including registration, financial and grade information
  • KCC email account
  • Notices of KCC news and events
  • Links to other KCC online resources, including course management systems, library, and alert notification system
  • e-Check refund - sign up to receive refunds by direct deposit - for further information, contact the Business Office at 269-965-4140

Your login to the Bruin Portal will be provided in your KCC admissions letter. Your KCC email account will be established after you register for classes or file the FAFSA for financial aid.

Instructions on the use of the Bruin Portal are available on the Bruin Portal Support Pages.

Career and Employment Services (CES)


Focus®2: Career Assessment

Job Board

Center for Student Success


Financial Aid


KCC has established an effective financial aid program of scholarships and grants, campus employment, and loans. You are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) used by the Financial Aid office to determine eligibility for most aid sources. Through our programs, KCC attempts to make education financially possible for all eligible and qualified applicants.

You must be enrolled in an eligible program of study, leading toward a degree or one-year certificate, to qualify for financial aid programs. In addition, most programs require enrollment of at least half-time status. The KCC Academic Catalog contains complete information on the range of programs available to you. You will receive correspondence from the Financial Aid office through your KCC email account in the Bruin Portal. All required forms can be obtained at http://www.kellogg.edu/admissions/financial-aid/student-forms-documents/.

Aid Sources

Scholarships and Grants

  • Federal Pell Grants are federally-funded grants based on need. You must file the FAFSA to be eligible.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are federal grants awarded to Pell Grant recipients with the greatest financial need. You must file the FAFSA to be eligible.
  • KCC Scholarships and Scholarship Endowments provide gifts if you meet eligibility requirements. Funding from these programs is limited. Contact the KCC Foundation at 269-965-4161, or download an application at http://www.kellogg.edu/about/foundation/student-scholarships/.
  • Michigan Competitive Scholarships are awards made by the State of Michigan based on ACT score and financial need. Must file the FAFSA each year to be eligible.

Work Opportunities

Federal Work Study is a federally-funded work program awarded to students with a financial need. On-campus and off-campus jobs are limited to 20 hours per week. You must be at least 18 years old to be eligible for Federal Work Study, fill out the FAFSA, and indicate a desire to work.


Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan

William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Direct Loans) are low-interest, educational loans. Funds are provided by the federal government. These loans help you finance your educational expenses up to $3,500 per year for freshman, and $4,500 per year for sophomore students. A maximum of $23,000 may be borrowed as an undergraduate student.

The interest rate is paid by the federal government while you are attending college on at least a half-time basis. The Financial Aid office must have an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) on file to award this loan. You must file Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for a loan. Only students with demonstrated need qualify for this subsidized loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

Regardless of income, you will be able to obtain this student loan. Interest starts accruing on this loan beginning the day the loan is disbursed. Borrowers from this program are responsible for interest accrued during the in-school and deferment periods. Interest payments can be paid monthly, quarterly, or capitalized by the lender and added to the loan principal.

You can receive subsidized and unsubsidized loans for the same loan period. The combined total of both programs cannot exceed Federal Stafford Loan Program annual limits or your Cost of Attendance.

Federal Direct Plus Loan

This is a non-need based source of loan funds available to parents of dependent undergraduates. There is no federal interest subsidy. Under the Federal Plus Loan, when the borrower is a parent, repayment of interest and principal must begin within sixty (60) days of disbursement of the loan. Parents can choose to defer the payment until after the student graduates or drops below halftime.

There is no grace period for Parent PLUS Loans. The interest rate is fixed and determined on a yearly basis. The parent may borrow up to the cost of education minus other aid. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be on file prior to the awarding of a PLUS loan.

Entrance and Exit Counseling

If you are awarded a loan, you are required to complete an entrance loan counseling session prior to the loan being disbursed. If you received a loan, you are required to complete an exit loan counseling session prior to program completion at KCC.

You will receive a six-month grace period after graduating or dropping below half-time status before you begin repayment. All principle payments are automatically deferred while you are enrolled on or above a half-time basis and during your grace period.

Both counseling sessions are completed online. You must list KCC as the school to which you would like the counseling information sent.

Additional resources:

  • Manage your Direct Loan account including: 
    • Complete your Master Promissory Note;
    • Entrance and Exit Counseling, and calculate;
    • Make payments on your student loans;
    • Make inquiries about Title IV grants and/or loan amounts and outstanding balances; and/or,
    • Check on loan statuses and disbursements.

Common Financial Aid Terms


Eligibility for Aid

General financial aid eligibility requirements state that you must:

  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or completed a secondary school education in a home-school setting.
  • Be admitted to KCC and enrolled as a regular student (Guest and Dual Enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid).
  • Be a U S citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Not be in default on a student loan.
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal grant previously received.
  • Be pursuing an eligible program of study leading to a degree, one-year certificate, or transfer to a four-year college.
  • Be registered with Selective Service if a male at least 18 years of age. (You may register online at https://www.sss.gov/).
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by federal regulations and pursuant to KCC’s SAP policy.

Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid

Financial Aid awards are subject to the following stipulations:

  1. You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
  2. To be eligible for most types of financial aid, a minimum of six credit hours per semester is required. If classes are dropped or cancelled after initial registration, the financial aid package may be adjusted.
  3. If dropped or cancelled classes decreases or cancels eligibility for financial aid, any balance owed to KCC is your responsibility.
  4. You must inform the Financial Aid office of aid received from sources outside the office.
  5. If additional financial aid is received after the award letter is issued, the award package may be adjusted or cancelled.
  6. Financial aid is contingent upon the continuation of the current aid programs, sufficient appropriations and you meeting KCC’s SAP Policy.
  7. Financial Aid is contingent on you attending all courses for which you are registered.
  8. Adjustments to the award package may be required for changes in the family’s financial situation, additional available funding, levels of enrollment, residency, errors in calculations, clerical errors, or further file review.
  9. You will be notified of all adjustments to the financial aid award package.
  10. You are responsible for debit balances that may be created on your account as a result of an adjustment.
  11. Financial aid received for the current award year cannot be used to pay indebtedness from a previous award year.
  12. All funds received are to be used for education-related expenses while attending KCC.
  13. In cases of enrollment at more than one institution for the same period of time, federal and state funding may only be received at one institution.
  14. By signing the Title IV statement on the Financial Aid Certification form, you are authorizing federal funds to apply to all charges on your KCC account.

Enrollment and Attendance

Enrollment Levels

These enrollment levels define full-time and part-time students and apply to all semesters, including summer.

Full-time Twelve (12) or more credits
Three-quarter (3/4) time Nine (9) - Eleven (11) credit hours
One-half (1/2) time Six (6) - Eight (8) credit hours
Less than one-half (1/2) time Less than six (6) credit hours


Any courses for which there is an “I” (Incomplete) grade on your transcript for a previous enrollment period will not be counted toward your level of enrollment for a current semester for financial aid.  An “I” (Incomplete) grade means you agreed to complete the course by a specified date without re-enrolling. If you choose to audit a course, it will not be included in the enrollment level. Classes added after the add period will not be included in the enrollment level for consideration of aid.


In order to receive funds from any Title IV program, you must attend the classes you are enrolled in, which are used to compute your financial aid eligibility. If you NEVER attend the classes you are enrolled in, the Financial Aid office will review your financial aid eligibility and may adjust your award(s) based on the classes you have attended. You will be responsible for any outstanding balance owed on your KCC account.

Complete Withdrawal

If you completely withdraw from all courses before the 60% point of the semester, a Federal Refund Calculation will be completed to determine what portion of disbursed aid you must repay KCC. If you drop or withdraw from your classes, your KCC account will be adjusted according to KCC’s tuition refund policy. If you find it necessary to drop/withdraw during a semester, you must notify the Registrar’s office to complete the necessary drop/withdrawal paperwork.

Title IV aid that has been received during a semester will be recalculated to determine how much has been earned if you:

  • Officially withdraw from ALL courses within a semester, or
  • Officially withdraw from a course AND are not registered in a course that spans the length of the semester, or
  • Received failing grades in ALL courses in which you are enrolled within a semester

If you withdraw or stop attending ALL your classes, you may be responsible for a portion of the charges incurred, which is calculated based on the last date of attendance reported for you by your instructors. Withdrawing from class and/or never attending class may also affect your academic progress and result in termination of financial assistance. Please review KCC’s SAP requirements for more details on how to remain in satisfactory academic standing.

Title IV funding must be returned to the following federal programs in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • PLUS Loan
  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Other federal, state, private, or institutional student assistance

Repeat Coursework

  • You may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed (received a 0.00 grade point or “No Pass”), regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
  • You may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time. (A passing grade is any grade other than an “F, W, NR or N, I, G”.) See the Academic Catalog for an explanation of grades.
  • Once you have completed any course twice with a passing grade, you are no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
  • A recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course if you retake a course that is not aid eligible.
  • This rule applies whether or not you received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

Note: Federal regulations specify that you may not receive aid for repeating courses previously passed if you are required to retake those courses as part of a structured program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards



Federal regulations require that you maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to continue receiving financial aid. The minimum standards of SAP at KCC include the following components:

  • You maintain a cumulative grade point average based on number of credits attempted (may be different than records GPA).
  • You complete a minimum of cumulative credit hours attempted based on number of credits attempted (including all transfer credits).
  • You complete less than 150% total cumulative credits required for program degree of record (including all transfer credits).

A review of SAP will be done at the end of each semester following the posting of grades to your official transcript. The Financial Aid office will review your academic history and notify you if you are being placed on financial aid warning or suspension. If you are placed on suspension, you will receive an email with information about the appeal process.

The first time you do not meet minimum standards you will be placed on financial aid warning and are eligible to receive all forms of aid. If you do not meet minimum standards the second semester, you will be placed on financial aid suspension and will not be eligible to receive any federal or state financial aid. You may appeal using the appeal form sent to your KCC email account.

Veterans Affairs (DVA) Benefit Services


Application forms are available at https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Additional forms to complete a Veteran file are available from the Financial Aid office on the North Avenue campus in Battle Creek. Scheduled VA orientations are available to assist with the certification process requirements and guidelines.

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill), of Title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9), who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kellogg Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence), shall be charged in-state tuition rates.

Academic Progress Standards

Recipients of DVA benefits must achieve satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward their educational goals. KCC will evaluate the academic progress of each recipient at the end of each academic session.

Satisfactory Progress Policy

A DVA benefits recipient is considered to be making SAP if a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is maintained based on the SAP policy. Class absence must not interfere with the successful pursuit or completion of the course objectives. Recipients are expected to make consistent and incremental progress toward completion of an academic program. Recipients enrolled in industrial trades coursework must complete the scheduled/enrolled clock hours by the end of the enrollment period for which they have been certified.

Probationary Benefit Status

A DVA benefits recipient who is not making satisfactory progress will be placed on probationary benefit status. This probationary status may continue for up to two subsequent semesters. During the probationary period, the recipient is eligible for certification. To regain satisfactory progress status, a probationary semester must be completed with all progress standards being met.

First-time Recipients

First-time DVA benefits recipients who have an established academic record at KCC must meet the satisfactory progress policy. Students not meeting the policy requirements will begin their benefits on probationary benefit status as outlined above.

Suspended Benefit Status

If at the end of the probationary status the recipient has not achieved satisfactory progress, KCC may no longer certify enrollment for benefits. To become eligible for recertification, the DVA benefits recipient must complete a subsequent six (6) credit hours with a 2.00 GPA in each class, within a semester, without their enrollment being certified to the DVA, and meet all standards of satisfactory progress at the conclusion of that semester.

Appeal of Benefit Status

A DVA benefits recipient who has been placed on probationary or suspended status may appeal the status in writing to the VA Certifying Official, located in the Financial Aid office.

Choice and Accountability Act Policy

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9), who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kellogg Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence), shall be charged in-state tuition rates.

Payment Information-Tuition and Fees

You have two payment options:

  • Payment in full when registering for classes
  • Enrollment in the Nelnet payment plan

All students, including students who have been awarded financial aid or scholarships, need to pay their balance in full or enroll in a Nelnet payment plan within 24 hours of registering for their classes. Learn more about Tuition & Fees or the College’s Payment Plan.

Drop for Non-Payment

Failure to pay in full or enroll in the Nelnet payment plan may result in all of your classes being dropped. There are exceptions in which KCC may allow a student to register without paying in full or signing with a payment plan. If KCC does not automatically drop you for non-payment, you would still be responsible for any outstanding tuition balances and fees. Any questions should be directed to the Business Office at 269-965-4140 or busoffice@kellogg.edu.

Indebtedness Policy

If a student has a prior unsettled indebtedness, KCC reserves the right to refuse to forward evidence of attendance or other official credentials. Indebtedness shall include tuition and fees, library and parking fines, restitution sanctions, over-awards of financial aid, defaulted student loans incurred from prior KCC attendance, or any other charges incurred by the student and owed to KCC.

Military Duty

If you are currently enrolled as a student and are called for active military duty, present a copy of your military orders to the Registrar’s office. You may be dropped from all uncompleted courses without grade and be granted a refund of all tuition and fees paid for the dropped courses.

Payment Plan


KCC partners with Nelnet Business Solutions to administer a low cost payment plan for all students, including those with a Financial Aid award. The student payment plan offers multiple down payment and monthly payment options, while the Financial Aid payment plan offers a delayed payment option for all balances and fees. Payments are made electronically by registering a checking account, savings account, or any major credit card on the enrollment application. Details regarding both payment plan options are available online at Payment Plan.


Refunds are automatically generated if you have a credit (negative) balance on your student account resulting from dropped or cancelled classes and/or disbursement of financial aid. You must be attending classes and continue to meet all eligibility requirements in order to receive a financial aid refund. Payments made by credit card may be refunded back to the original card. All other refunds will be distributed either by paper check mailed to the address on file or direct deposit into a bank account enrolled through the Bruin Portal. Any questions should be directed to the Business Office at 269-965-4140 or busoffice@kellogg.edu.

Refund Appeals

If you believe that your circumstance warrants a refund of tuition and fees, you may appeal for a refund of tuition and fees

  • The Refund Appeal Form is available online at http://www.kellogg.edu/admissions/registrar/refund-policy/.
  • The written appeal must be submitted within one (1) year of the date when the course was taken.
  • The appeal must include supporting documentation showing an extenuating circumstance.
  • The Refund Appeals Committee will respond to you in writing.

Tax Incentives for Higher Education (1098-T Form)

KCC is required to send a 1098-T form to each student who registers for classes throughout the calendar year. This form is used to verify enrollment and report to the IRS all qualified tuition and related expenses billed by KCC as well as report all scholarship and grant funds received by the student during the calendar year. Receipt of the form does not mean you qualify for an educational tax credit, it simply means that you were enrolled in a KCC course at some point during that year. To see if you are eligible to claim a tax credit see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education; Form 8863, Education Credit; and the form 1040 or 1040A instructions.

Tuition Refund Policy

  1. A course section dropped by the specified drop date listed on the Class Schedule will be granted a full refund of paid tuition and fees with no academic penalty. Any course section dropped after the stated drop date will be processed as a course withdrawal (grade of “W” on academic transcript), and subject to the tuition and fees of the course.
  2. Refund calculations are based upon the total tuition and fee obligations to the College and not upon the amount of partial payment made.

Records and Registration


Enrollment Verification

You may request a document to verify your enrollment by logging into the Bruin Portal or by submitting a request to the Registrar’s office at the Battle Creek campus, or at the Eastern Academic, Fehsenfeld, and Grahl Centers.

To graduate from Kellogg Community College with a degree or certificate, be sure you have the correct program code in the KCC student information system. You begin the process by verifying your program code through your Bruin Portal account for each degree and/or certificate you are applying for. Under “Academic Profile,” view the “Change Academic Program Code” option. If your program code(s) of study is not listed, please contact the Registrar’s office at 269-965-4129 for assistance.

You must complete an Application for Graduation form for each degree or certificate you are applying for. The form is available online through your Bruin Portal account, at the Registrar’s office, or any KCC registration location. You will be awarded one free diploma for each KCC certificate/degree. Additional copies of the same KCC certificate/degree may be purchased.

Applications for graduation are accepted during the following dates:

  • Fall Semester Graduation: April 1 - December 1
  • Spring Semester Graduation: September 1 - March 1
  • Summer Semester Graduation: January 1 - July 1*

*If you are applying for graduation in the summer and want to participate in the May commencement ceremony, your deadline to apply for graduation is March 1.

Graduation applications received after the application period closes may be accepted as late applications and may be assessed a non-refundable late application fee. If you submit a late graduation application, the processing of your application will be delayed and you will be notified by the Registrar’s office as soon as possible regarding your eligibility for graduation.

Commencement Ceremony

Commencement is held in May. You will receive information regarding graduation activities, ordering a cap, gown, and diploma through your KCC email account in February.

Certificate programs of fewer than sixteen (16) credit hours are not eligible for participation in the commencement ceremony.

Submitting a late application for graduation could result in your inability to participate in the commencement ceremony and/or having your name publicized in the commencement program.

Graduation Audit

All coursework must be completed by the end of the semester, including completion of “I” (Incomplete) grades and transfer credits from other institutions. Final grades and any program-related forms must be submitted for you to graduate. Your application for graduation is considered incomplete if this does not occur. Incomplete applications will be moved to the next semester. If at the end of the next semester your application is still incomplete, you will need to reapply for graduation in a future semester.

When your application for graduation is complete, a review of your academic record will be conducted by the Registrar’s office to determine if graduation requirements have been met. The audit results will be sent to your KCC email account.

The graduation requirements of the catalog in effect the year you started taking courses at KCC, or any later catalog, may be used to audit your academic record for degree or certificate completion. No catalog will be used which was issued more than five years prior to your year of graduation.

An opportunity for you to order a printed diploma or certificate will be provided during the final graduation audit. You will also receive information on participating in the KCC commencement ceremony held annually in May.

Students are encouraged to work closely with a KCC academic advisor to ensure that course selections fulfill program and curriculum requirements.

Graduation with Honors

Students who have fulfilled the requirements for an associate degree and have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher will be graduated with honors as follows:

Summa Cum Laude 3.90-4.00 Highest Honors
Magna Cum Laude 3.50-3.89 High Honors
Cum Laude 3.00-3.49 Honors

The appropriate honors designation will be included on the student’s academic record and diploma.

Student Registration


Current course schedule information is found in the Bruin Portal. KCC reserves the right to change and cancel course offerings during the registration period.

If you have not fulfilled the prerequisites for any course in which you have enrolled, you may be dropped from the course without course or grade entry on your permanent academic record.

KCC reserves the right to deny your registration if you have a financial hold on your account or a violation of the Student Code of Conduct which prohibits registration.

Note: Financial aid recipients should check with the Financial Aid office prior to making any schedule changes after classes begin.

Automated Drop

A student who has not fulfilled the prerequisites for the course in which they have enrolled, and does not have a prerequisite override in the system, will automatically be dropped from their enrolled course. For this purpose, no course or grade entry will be made on the student’s permanent academic record and tuition and fees will be refunded.

An instructor-initiated drop must be processed prior to the drop deadline for the course. It is the instructor’s responsibility to inform the student of the course drop.

Auditing a Course

You may audit a class for enjoyment, personal exploration, gaining insight into a new subject, or for other reasons. Auditing students are expected to participate in the class by attending and completing all assignments. Those who do not wish to complete these assignments may be required to develop an “audit contract” with the course instructor. Audited courses receive no academic credit and therefore do not apply towards graduation requirements, financial aid eligibility, or athletic team eligibility. See the Grade of “X” (Audit) section for more details.

Course Cancellations

The College reserves the right to cancel courses before, during, or at the conclusion of the registration period.

Course Section Waitlist

Students may add their name to a course section waitlist when a section is full. When a seat becomes available, an email (KCC email account) is sent to the first student on the waitlist along with information on the deadline for the student to register for the course. If the deadline passes and the student does not register, their name is removed from the waitlist.

  • A student on the waitlist is not guaranteed registration in the course.
  • Once notified of an open seat, it is the student’s responsibility to register for the course either in person or through Student Self-Service.
  • All prerequisites must be met to register for the course.
  • If the student no longer wishes to be on the waitlist, they can remove themselves through Student Self-Service.
  • Tuition/fee charges for waitlisted courses will appear in the student’s account after the registration is complete.
  • The opportunity to waitlist ends one week prior to the start of each semester.
  • Review the schedule of classes on the website, as additional course sections may be added.

Note: Not all course sections have a waitlist option.


A schedule adjustment period is provided for students who have registered and find it necessary to revise their course selections. Schedule adjustments must be made within the time limits established by the College. For information on dropping a course with a refund, see the Tuition Refund Policy section.

Course Drops for Active Military Duty
If you are currently enrolled and are called for active military duty, present a copy of your military orders to the Registrar’s Office. You may be dropped from all uncompleted courses without a grade and be granted a refund of all tuition and fees paid for the dropped course(s).

Course Withdrawals

You may withdraw from a course after the drop/refund period and prior to seven-eighths (7/8) of the duration of the course. Withdrawing will generate a grade of “W” (Withdrawal) on your academic record for each course withdrawal. Tuition and fees are not refunded when you withdraw from a course.

If you withdraw during the final one-eighth (1/8) of the duration of a course, a grade of “F” will be entered on your academic record for each course withdrawal.

You are encouraged to discuss withdrawing from course(s) with your instructor(s) and/or academic advisor prior to actually withdrawing in order to understand your options and the impact of withdrawing from a course(s).

You may process withdrawals in the Bruin Portal or by submitting a withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office or the main office at one of the Centers.

You may also be administratively withdrawn from a course(s) by the College. See the Administrative Withdrawal Policy under the “Policies” section of this Handbook.

Student ID Card


KCC student ID cards are provided at all KCC registration locations and validated each semester. You must be currently registered and show a government-issued picture ID in order to obtain a KCC student ID card. A replacement card can be purchased for a fee. 

KCC requires photo identification to utilize facilities, to obtain student information, to check out items in the Learning Resource Center (LRC), and to receive discounted rates at KCC events. Acceptable forms of photo identification are:

  • KCC ID card
  • Driver’s license
  • State ID card
  • U.S. military photo card
  • State or federal government-issued photo ID

Note: Clinical badges are not a form of ID.

Student Insurance

E.J. Smith & Associates offer a variety of insurance plans for students. Information can be found on their website at www.ejsmith.com.

Tech Support



Kellogg Community College Bruin Bookstore is located on the first floor of the Lane Thomas Building. The Bruin Bookstore offers new and used textbooks, supplies, insignia items, clothing, software, and snacks for students to purchase. Students at the Fehsenfeld, Grahl, and Eastern Academic Centers may purchase their books online or at the Battle Creek Bruin Bookstore. The average cost of a new textbook is estimated at approximately $175.00. Please be aware some classes may require more than one textbook. The Bruin Bookstore will ship textbooks within the continental United States for an additional shipping and handling fee.

If you have been approved for financial aid, you may purchase books on account according to the dates posted in the bookstore. A KCC student or government-issued ID and KCC class schedule are required for purchases made with financial aid. Students found abusing the right to charge purchases at the Bruin Bookstore against pending financial aid may be placed on financial aid suspension.

During the last week of the semester, the Bruin Bookstore offers a textbook buyback service conducted by an independent used book company. Times and dates are posted in the Bruin Bookstore.

Any questions should be directed to the Bruin Bookstore at kccbookstore@kellogg.edu, or 269-965-4128

Bookstore Refund Policy

Each semester the Bruin Bookstore posts on the website (http://bookstore.kellogg.edu/store1/home.aspx) and in the store the last day for full refunds on textbooks. After this posted date, customers are given one day to return books.

  • All merchandise must have a current semester receipt/packing list.
  • Returns on textbooks are not accepted when purchased during the last 10 days of classes.
  • Items purchased must be in the exact same condition as they were purchased, including original packaging, tags/labels, no highlighting, marks, or opened CD’s/disks.
  • A refund policy statement is given with each book purchased and students are reminded to read this policy thoroughly before requesting a refund.

Refunds are issued in the same form as payment was made. The exception to this would be cash; it may be in the form of a check mailed to the customer or direct deposited. Purchases by check require a five-business day waiting period before receiving a cash refund.

All other unopened/unused Bruin Bookstore merchandise is refundable within 3 days of purchase; this excludes candy/food, bar charts, and syllabi.

Please attend class before opening or writing in your textbooks.

Some remaining textbooks will be returned to publishers by mid-semester. Please plan to purchase your textbooks prior to this time or make arrangements with the Bruin Bookstore staff.